Enquire about this Item
Exceptional ivory cups that can form a pair. Each cup rests on a pierced and perforated circular base. A fluted column with decreasing elements supports a flared cut. Each cup has a pierced body. One of them has a pierced, drooping, multi-lobed border.
H:4.52in. (11,5 cm)
The art of turned ivory or wood came from the Renaissance and took off in the 17th century in Germany. The art of turned ivory or wood allowed the creation of spectacular pieces called "tour de force" including spheres, towers and cups. These parts were kept in cabinets or mechanical cabinets. At the end of the 18th century, Louis XVI admired the pieces from the cabinet of Nicolas Grollier de Servières in Lyon. In 1780, the mechanic Mercklein performed a marvelous turned engine for King Louis XVI. "During the first half of the 19th century, the manufacture of eccentric pieces and other masterpieces of lathe flourished with the Dieppe ivory "
Period: First half of the 19th century. French Restauration.
Price: 2200 €
François Barreau un tourneur virtuose. L' Estampille. L'objet d'art (Dijon), 1990, 233, fév